Friday, March 16, 2012

Super Hero Adjectives!

In an effort to add interesting details to our writing, we learned about using adjectives to "jazz" it up. First we read a book called Boris the Pirate. After reading the story, we found and listed all the adjectives. Then we looked for "proof" for the adjectives. For example, if the story said the character Boris was strong then we had to find out how (the proof) he was strong.
Next I had my students start the Super Hero writing activity. First they filled out a "brainstorming" sheet and listed five adjectives that described the type of super hero they were. Then they had to provide the "proof". For example, if they used the adjective 'helpful' to describe themselves then they needed to state HOW they were helpful. "I am helpful because I save people's lives." We always go through the writing process. Here are some of the super heroes and writings.
 "I am weird. I can stink myself out and fall over." :)
 A extremely fast super hero.
 A wonderfully pink super hero.
 "I am smart. I can read fast." :)
 A super hero with rocket boosters on the cape. :)
 "I am strong because I exercise."
A toothless super hero. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment