Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Practice, Practice, Practice

To practice those important dolch words, or high frequency words, I developed an activity for my kids. With a partner, students will practice flashcards with pre-primer to third grade dolch words on them. Each student gets two envelopes. On one envelope, written in RED, are the words "Words To Practice". On the other envelope, written in BLUE, are the words "Words I Know". As they learn to "speed read" the word, they can put it in the "Words I Know" envelope. When they think they have learned all the words,  they bring the "Words I Know" envelope to me and read the flashcards. If they are able to read the flashcards fluently then I give them the next set of flashcards to practice with a partner. I have a basket with all their envelopes that they can access at any time. They are encouraged to practice their words whenever they finish work or are given class time. If you would like a copy of the flashcards to practice at home, you can download them at Dolch Words Flashcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment