Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sign Language in the Classroom

This year I decided to supplement my reading program with sign language. I began by teaching my students a letter from the alphabet each day. Then as more letters were learned, we started spelling words. Now when we are practicing new sounds such as /ch/, we will sign the letters and say the sound. The kids love it. We use sign language to practice our spelling words. We use it to when trying to sound out new or difficult words. We use sign language in many different ways.

Before the holiday break, we were practicing our short vowel sounds. I would sign the vowel letter and they would give me the sound for it. They loved it! Sign language is just one more way to get studnets more deeply engaged in their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment